Friday, June 15, 2012

ORDER FROM CHAOS

How NOT to start off a good school day:  walk into our homeschool classroom to see this:
    Or this:
And yes, that IS a severed hand amidst the Latin books, a holdover from our All Saint's party, where one of the boys dressed as St. Isaac Jogues.

I am instantly cranky when this happens and am NOT inspired to teach the good, the true, and definitely NOT the beautiful.  I mean, please look, just look at the carpet:
I've attempted many things over the years to inspire cleanliness, but each year it's gotten a little harder.  We've tried straightening up right before we begin our school prayers in the morning, but all that does is delay our start ... one cleaning project leads to another and another, and we're exhausted before we begin actual lessons.  And not only that, I still start the day by walking into the mess!  So then I tried adding "Tidy up School Room" to our afternoon chore list, and each day a different kid tackled it.  But our afternoons are so crazy ... usually we're barely squeezing our last subject in (or just skipping it altogether - that's why my kids' science test scores stink!) before the mad dash in the minivan to choir, football, soccer, yada yada yada.  Wasn't working.

To add to the mayhem, this year we reached our maximum capacity in the homeschool classroom:  4 students, one teacher, one 2-year old, and a mountain of books.  (And yes, kids, cuz I know you're reading this, much of the mess does come from her.)  But the fact remains that Mom is happier with order around her, and everyone knows that Happy Mom=Happy Students and a Good School Day.  Sooo, instead of nagging and griping, I was inspired to conduct Desk Inspections ... which includes their cubby holes, shelves and the floor around their desks.  If I find their area suitable, they will discover a Super Clean Desk Award on their desktops, along with some kind of prize.  (It doesn't work without the prize, folks, so don't be cheap!)  Might be a pack of gum, or some toy I found on clearance, or most coveted of all, a box of movie theater candy.  (You know, those boxes of Skittles or Sour Patch Kids or Snowcaps that you can get for under a $1 at WalMart)
If their area is a trash heap -- see above -- they get nothing.  Now I'm not saying miracles happened or anything, but I can tell you that all I have to do is mention that there might be a desk inspection sometime soon, and a flurry of frantic cleaning ensues.  I might do one a week, or 3 a week, or wait for a month to go by.  Sometimes they're random, sometimes they're announced, sometimes I just happen to let slip that I got some new candy on clearance ...

I've included a template that so you can make your own.  It works in my homeschool classroom, and I see no reason why it wouldn't work in a regular classroom for cubbyholes or lockers.  I have a set of four that I re-use, just in case I have four winners at once - a very rare occasion because I am picky.  Print out on card stock, laminate, and have fun inspecting.  Results guaranteed.


Your Catholic Teacher's Friend,

9 comments:

  1. Love the severed hand amongst all of the holiness! I appreciate a realistic view of home schooling. I'm sure it can't be easy. I used to teach, and after trying to do twenty minute review lessons with my three every morning this summer (with a one year old underfoot), I think it would be easier to go back to teaching a classroom of 29 kids! Looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wows- that looks like my house (but without the severed hand)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caroline and Tom! This was so long overdue! And so worth the wait! We will be looking for more! We will be looking forward to your future add ons!
    The Callaghan Family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the clean desk award idea (and this hilarious, relieving, honest post)! I might make a super clean room award too. I am looking forward to reading your future posts. ~Nicole (Boos) Powers

    ReplyDelete
  5. Though I don't home school, I appreciate that order in the home is not only pleasing to the eyes, but to one's emotions as well: Cleanliness effects calm. I think I shall add the award idea to my bag of carrots; the sticks don't work!

    I'm comforted to see the severed hand. I don't feel so embarrassed that some Christmas and Easter decorations are still about my house when the remains of All Halloweds' Eve occupy a space in yours.

    As for tackling the organization effort, I've a contribution: Managers of Their Chores (www.titus2.com).

    One very late night after having nursed newborn number 6, just beginning to fold a week's worth of laundry piled upon the couch, and feeling sleep-deprived and sorry for myself, I turned on the television to find Michele Duggar explaining the secret to her family organization. After suffering a similar situation as mine, she discovered the home management materials of Titus 2 ministries. I figured that if it worked for 18 and counting, it just might work for a mere six and stalling, so I ordered the manual. I highly recommend it!

    If nothing else, the comprehensive list of suggested chores alone helps one delegate household tasks to all members of the family and schedule them according to the frequency of needed completion. I like how one prints "chore cards" to place in a "chore pack" (a clip on name badge pocket) so that the child can wear his job list on his person and move the cards to the back of the pack as he finishes a job. Even our two-year-old has a pack of picture cards to guide her in her chores, the first one featuring a toilet so as to help with potty training.

    Packs are returned upon completion of all chores, but no one is awarded free time until after mom or dad conducts a quality inspection.

    I recommend Managers of Their Chores with some disclaimers:
    1. The Maxwell family who wrote the manual are not Catholic. The first part of the book, though insightful, does not view the concepts of work and leisure in keeping with a Catholic (Think Josef Pieper.) understanding of the work ethic.
    2. Don't take it all on at once. Start with small chore lists and then increase over time as children master the works.
    3. Be consistent, but adaptive.

    By no means am I a master manager, but I see the light at the end of the tunnel, and it shows me that the stray Christmas decorations might very well get packed up before Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for this - I was familiar with "Managers of their Homes" from way back, but was not aware of the Chores book follow-up. It's on my list to read this summer ... I try to spend some time in the off-season evaluating schedules, etc. Another great help to all of us may be Holly Pierlot's "Mother's Rule of Life." We read it in our Catholic mom's book club a while back, and it's time for me to revisit that one.

      And hey - MY Easter decorations were still out until just last week.

      Thanks again for your thoughtful comment; am hoping to join you soon in that tunnel!

      Delete
  6. I am eager to follow the blog, Caro and Tom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is it sad that my house looks worse than this and I only have one child...? I swear I'll be a better housekeeper when the school year ends!

    I'm excited to add your blog to my bookmarks! And post some more pictures of the kids - one every couple of years just isn't cutting it!

    ReplyDelete