Thursday, June 21, 2012

"LORD, TEACH US TO PRAY"

Peter's First Communion; at the crypt chapel above Peter's bones, under the main altar of St. Peter's Basilica;  Summer 2008.




The kids will tell you that I avoid going upstairs at all costs.  The kids' bedrooms and bathroom are up there, and let's just say that it's bad for my mental health.  But, when out-of-town company is planning to visit, I steel myself and venture up to make sure their version of "clean" is my version of "company-ready."  Last week when I was shoveling the junk helping them pick up, I ran across some prayer cards that I made years ago for my two older boys.  I was trying to help them get in the habit of praying in the mornings, of offering their day to the Lord.  Since they both love sports, I came up with a sports acronym to make it easy to remember:  Make a G.O.A.L. for Jesus everyday ...
  • Good Morning, God.
  • Offer your day to the Lord:  "Dear Jesus, I give you today all that I am and do and say."
  • Ask for help.  What are your special intentions?
  • Listen for His voice.
A little corny, I know, but they were young and I do think it helped them.  We laminated them (of course - I love, love lamination) and they kept them by their beds for several years.  They both freely admit that they don't use the G.O.A.L. method any more, but I know they once did, and I'd like to think that it inspired a little more prayer in their lives.  And I especially hope it opened them up to the idea of LISTENING for direction/inspiration from the Lord.
  
This weekend I'll be making 2 more cards for Emma and John Paul, also sports fans. (Like my other teacher-y things on this blog, I like to print them out on cardstock, mount on scrapbook paper, and then, well -  you know what to do next!  Remember, the shiny contact paper also looks great.)  Feel free to download your own morning prayer cards - there is a basketball and a soccer version.  Each sheet makes three cards.  Emma is requesting a volleyball version, so I may add that soon.

So rediscovering those cards has gotten me to thinking ... how can we encourage a love for Christ in our children?  I pray hard for that daily ... that all my children will come to know, love and serve the Lord.  But what more can we parents DO?  I'd love to hear from all you great families out there.  Let's get this discussion going!  "Lord, teach us (and our children) to pray."





No comments:

Post a Comment